The United Way of Northern Arizona is accepting applications for Early Literacy Enrichment Grants. Regulated and unregulated child care providers are invited to apply for funds to enhance children’s literacy through activities in the focus areas of professional development, curriculum development and/or parent involvement. The United Way of Northern Arizona is inviting regulated and unregulated child care providers offering services to children in the Sunnyside, Southside and Greenlaw communities to apply for funds to enhance children’s literacy through activities in the focus areas of professional development, curriculum development and/or parent involvement. The grants will range from $500-$3,500 and will offer a pre-application workshop on February 22nd. Applications are available at the United Way of Northern Arizona’s office or can be filled in and sent electronically.
To help ensure that every child is ready to learn how to read by the time he or she reaches kindergarten, it is important that early care providers foster the development of these early learning skills in the child’s first and second language:
• Print motivation: Children should develop an interest in reading.
• Print awareness: Children should understand how print is used every day and in a variety of ways.
• Vocabulary: Children need to hear lots of words to develop a strong vocabulary.
• Narrative skills: Children need to understand how to follow and tell stories.
• Letter knowledge: Children need to comprehend that letters are made up of shapes and that every letter
represents a sound.
• Phonological awareness: Children need to be able to discern and play with the smaller sounds in a word. They
also need to be able to recognize rhyming words.
For questions please contact Peter Van Wyck at: 928-773-9813 ext. 224 or firstname.lastname@example.org